Intensive Foreign Language Instruction Program (IFLIP) is a unique learning opportunity normally offered during the summer and winter breaks.
Open to members of the University community and to the general public.
Classes meet Monday through Friday, except holidays.
Taught by advanced graduate students or faculty.
Courses focus on conversational skills, travel preparation and language survival skills.
There is minimal homework, no attendance policy, and no academic credit.
Classes are held in the Foreign Languages Building.
Participants will receive a confirmation email once registration and payment is complete, and shortly before classes begin will be notified as to the class room and instructor.
Levels of Instruction
- Elementary: For participants with very little or no prior experience with the language; you will learn how to handle basic communicative tasks such as introducing yourself, asking and answering simple questions, etc.
- Intermediate: For participants who have some knowledge of the language, are able to express some basic information (greetings, introductions, likes and dislikes, work, daily routine, etc.), and would like to increase their ability to converse informally in the language.
- Advanced: For participants who are able to communicate with ease about familiar topics related to their daily life, and who would like to improve their fluency and confidence to handle both informal and formal exchanges on a variety of topics.
Early Bird Registration
- Early Bird Students & spouses of UIUC students: $90
- Early Bird UI Faculty, Staff, Retirees: $110
- Early Bird General Public: $130
Regular registration costs
- Students & spouses of UIUC students: $100
- UI Faculty, Staff, Retirees: $125
- General Public: $150
Note: payment must be made at time of registration.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration fee will be refunded in full if course is cancelled.
What do past students have to say about IFLIP?
"I have taken IFLIP classes in Advanced French, Beginning and Intermediate Spanish, and Beginning Italian, and had a very enjoyable experience every time. The teachers create such a good environment for both individual learning and comraderie among those sharing the struggle to learn a new language or deepening their understanding of a beloved familiar one. IFLIP is a wonderful service of the language departments at the U of I, enriching in every way. Our community is very lucky to have it. J'aime IFLIP. Me encanta IFLIP. Mi piace IFLIP." - Fran B.
"IFLIP is a great program. I took the Elementary Spanish class in January and went to Spain in April. I couldn't have prepared better for the trip. I could ask when the 'C4' bus would arrive and then understand what time they told me. Unless you know the language, IFLIP should be a primer to every trip!" - Tony W.
"The Intensive Foreign Language Program is a great opportunity to study a language at minimal cost. I took beginning and intermediate Italian, and the courses were a great help when I got a Fulbright fellowship to Italy. I took beginning Chinese, which helped me in China, and more recently, I’ve taken beginning, intermediate, and advanced Spanish, and I am looking forward to trips to Spanish-speaking countries. Now I am able to continuing building my Spanish vocabulary by reading dozens of Spanish detective stories from the wonderful University of Illinois library. But in addition to the general benefits of language learning, there are two other major benefits of IFLIP courses. Once is the chance to get to know people of all ages and occupations from the university and the community. The other is the chance to appreciate the enthusiasm of the instructors, which helps me keep going in this, my 53rd year of teaching at the University." - Peter M.