CLIC STUDENT TRAVEL GRANTS
The Center for Language Instruction and Coordination provides two annual awards of $250 each for students to travel to participate in a distant seminar, conference, or workshop that primarily aims to improve or enhance language teaching and learning outcomes. Recipients will be required to share with colleagues any information and ideas received at a conference or workshop organized or sponsored by CLIC.
- Applicants must be graduate students in good standing at the time of application.
- Applicants must be teaching assistants for a language program within SLCL (School of Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics) at the time of application.
- The conference/workshop must be directly related to language pedagogy.
- Students who have received the CLIC Travel Grant in the past are eligible; however, priority will be given to those who have not received it before.
- Travel Grants may only be used for reimbursement of travel-related expenses and registration fees. Submission of receipts is required after travel has been completed, and the total expenses must equal or exceed the total amount of the funding. Proof of conference/workshop registration will be required for the award to be processed.
- Statement from a supervisor or advisor in support of the student's participation in the conference/workshop.
- Application form, in which candidates will need to provide the following information:
- Degree program (expected graduation date)
- Teaching experience (at UIUC or other institutions)
- Information regarding the conference or workshop to be attended (location, date, link to website)
- Please explain why you chose to attend this conference/workshop, and how attendance will enhance your teaching.
- Please describe how attendance at the conference/workshop will contribute to the mission of CLIC.
Fill out the application form and submit the statement of support online: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/138030
Deadline for Fall Competition (for travel during Fall or Winter): October 1 at 11:59 p.m.
Deadline for Spring Competition (for travel during Spring or Summer): March 1 at 11:59 p.m.
Questions should be directed to :
Applications will be reviewed by the CLIC Executive Committee, and the top-ranked application will receive the travel grant each semester. The following elements will be evaluated on a scale from 1-5 (5 being the best):
- Supervisor's statement of support.
- Applicant’s response to why they chose to attend this conference/workshop, and how it will enhance their teaching.
- Applicant’s response to how attendance at the conference/workshop will contribute to the mission of CLIC.
EXCELLENCE IN LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION (ELI) AWARD
The Center for Language Instruction and Coordination provides an award to recognize and reward the commitment to pedagogical excellence and innovation of one of our faculty members each year. An award of $500 will be processed via payroll and will be considered taxable income.
- Applicants must be full-time faculty members, including specialized faculty and academic professionals.
- Applicants must have at least three years of full-time teaching experience within SLCL.
- Faculty members who have previously won an ELI award are not eligible to win again for a period of five years.
- Nominees who were not selected for the award may be nominated again.
Nomination packets should include all of the following:
- A nomination letter from a colleague or supervisor (no self-nominations), describing the nominee’s qualifications for the award.
- A detailed CV of the nominee.
- Longitudinal report of ICES scores for all courses taught at UIUC.
- An additional letter of support from another colleague or supervisor.
- Sample teaching materials that help to showcase innovative and effective approaches to language instruction (maximum 2 items; an “item” can be an activity, a project description, a lesson plan, etc.). Materials should be submitted in their original language, with a one-page narrative in English describing the items and explaining how each one showcases the nominee’s work.
The deadline to submit a complete nomination packet is March 16th at 11:59 pm. The nominator should supply all necessary documents here: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/4025183
Questions should be directed to Professor Misumi Sadler: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed by the Advisory Committee of CLIC according to the established criteria, and the top application will receive the ELI Award for the current academic year. Based on all of the materials provided, the following aspects of the candidate will be rated on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being “absent/very weak,” and 5 being “very strong:”
- Excellence in teaching and mentoring students.
- Innovation in curriculum development and delivery of course content.
- Commitment to professional development as a language educator.
- Knowledge and use of current and effective approaches to language instruction.
- Involvement in collaborative activities that further the advancement of language instruction at UIUC and beyond.